The Harlem Chamber Players is an ethnically diverse collective of professional musicians dedicated to bringing affordable and accessible live classical music to people in the Harlem community and beyond. In addition, The Harlem Chamber Players seek to build an audience for classical music in general through community and educational outreach, as well as through collaborations with Harlem's other arts organizations, schools and cultural institutions. The Harlem Chamber Players not only bring live chamber music to underserved neighborhoods in the Harlem community, but also create opportunities for classically trained minority musicians.
Music at St. Mary's
Harlem’s acclaimed chamber music series Music at St. Mary's began in 2008 as a partnership between clarinetist Liz Player and violist Charles Dalton, who met while performing at a Black History Month gala concert at Weill Recital Hall at Carnegie Hall.
Inspired and encouraged by Janet Wolfe, founder of the New York City Housing Authority Orchestra and long-time patron of minority classical musicians, Ms. Player and Mr. Dalton created a summer music festival in the neighborhood of Manhattanville/West Harlem that provided dynamic chamber music concerts. The Rev. Dr. Earl Kooperkamp of the historic St. Mary’s Episcopal Church welcomed and supported the creation of an ongoing series.
The Harlem Chamber Players
Our core group of musicians has actually been giving performances well before the creation of Harlem's regular concert series Music at St. Mary's. In 2004 clarinetist Liz Player founded West Harlem Winds. This wind quintet performed at St. Mary's Episcopal Church as well as in colleges, public schools, private functions and various other venues. With the addition of strings and the creation of the Music at St. Mary's series in 2008, the group became St. Mary's Chamber Players.
The name of the entire cast of musicians who perform regularly in the Music at St. Mary's series is The Harlem Chamber Players.
Our Home - St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Established in 1823 as St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal Church Manhattanville, this is the oldest church congregation serving continually on the same site in the entire Harlem area. For nearly two centuries, St. Mary's Church has been at the spiritual heart of the West Harlem community, responding tirelessly to the needs of its people. In 1831, St. Mary's abolished the practice of pew rentals, becoming the first "free pew" church in the Episcopal Diocese. At the turn of the twentieth century, Rev. Hiram R. Hulse, rector, proposed to replace the original wooden church with a larger building. Rev. Hulse's wish was realized in 1909 with the completion of the present English Gothic-style brick structure, designed by Theodore E. Blake for the nationally prominent firm of Carrère & Hastings.
St. Mary's Church is widely known as the "Do not be not afraid" church, standing up as a community of faith to pursue justice and peace for the poor and oppressed, to pray for those at risk and to put into practice the message of the Gospel. Among the services the church provides are the St. Mary's Food Pantry, the Homeless Hunger Outreach, the Prison Ministry Outreach Program and an internship for young theological students. The burial vault of the church's founders, Lieut. Jacob Schieffelin and Hanna Lawrence Schieffelin--who also co-founded the surrounding Manhattanville neighborhood in 1806--is still visible from the porch of St. Mary's, which continues to be a vital hub in the West Harlem community. In 1998, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission designated the combined church, parish house (1851) and Sunday School building (1890) complex a New York City landmark.
The Harlem Chamber Players are proud to to call St. Mary's Episcopal Church its home.
St. Mary's Church is available to rent for concerts, rehearsals and other events. Click here for more information.
Please click here to print our fact sheet.